BRAĆA-SPORT® Kayak Paddles
BRAČA-SPORT®’s mission and philosophy is to design, develop and produce the best performing paddle for every paddler. We believe that each paddler has different needs and therefore each paddle should be uniquely designed. Different designs work better for different paddlers and environments. Our paddles have been designed using the latest technology available, inspired by the comments and in collaboration with some of the world’s most successful paddlers and coaches. We invented the revolutionary ‘tear-drop’ blade concept that redefined paddle performance and is now being copied by other manufacturers. This has become the ‘de facto’ blade in the paddling community and the world’s only mechanical energy paddle concept.
- World’s most popular paddle company for performance athletes
- Widest selection of kayak and canoe configurations
- Customization for each paddle type, your perfect paddle
- Proprietary in-house carbon used for blades and shafts
- Paddles designed and priced for children in both kayak and canoe
- High quality spray skirts, pogies, cases and more.
BRAĆA-SPORT® excellence, combined with FastPaddler customer service, means quick delivery, exceptional quality, and happy athletes. We carry inventory for rapid shipment and provide an expert assembly of your paddles. Consolidated shipments with individual invoicing available for teams.
MOST POPULAR KAYAK PADDLES: THE BRACA XI & BRACA IV
BRACA XI VAN DUSEN ’92 DETAILS
Regular (R), Extra Light (XL), Surf Ski (SS), Marathon (M)
705 Surfski, marathon, youth sprint, lighter paddler
735 Surfski, marathon, small sprinter, average strength paddler
760 Marathon, sprint, women ICF Sprint midpoint.
775 Marathon, sprint, large paddler (no SS)
795 Sprint, larger paddler (no SS, M)
815 Sprint, largest paddlers (no SS, M)
(Contact us for 835, largest paddle in this design!)
The Braca XI blade shape was originally designed by Ted Van Dusen in 1992 after three years of development and testing. Due to the high demand, Brača-Sport added this specially shaped blade to the product line by purchasing a license from Ted in 2014. The XI is considered a “high twist” shape which facilitates a strong catch and clean exit. Many paddles on the market have emulated this shape, but if you have not tried one of Ted’s original paddles or the Braca XI, you really should. It provides top performance – efficient power at varied cadences.
BRACA IV DETAILS
Regular, Extra Light, SurfSki (SS) and Marathon (M)
Varying constructions available, for example, large sprint blades not usually requested in M construction, which is a kevlar reinforced edge.
In-Stock Sizes (cm)
670: 47.5 x 15.2 – Most popular for very light paddler or youth.
705: 49.0 x 15.8 – Most popular size for marathon distance and surfski. Typically lighter paddler, or someone who just prefers a smaller blade then the 735
735: 49.5 x 16.3 – Most popular size for marathon distance and surfski. Typically average size and strength paddler
765: 50.0 x 16.8 – Popular with larger paddlers on flat water. Limited stock.
The Braca IV has been one of BRAČA-SPORT® most popular paddles for all types of paddling: used in Olympic Sprints, World Marathon Championships, and Surfski events. The IV is a more “forgiving” shape then the XI, VI or VII meaning easier at the catch
BRACA SHAFT OPTIONS
Braca makes a wide range of shafts of varying stiffness. In general the larger the paddler and the shorter the distance indicates a stiffer shaft but any combination is possible depending on the paddler. As the 19k and 21k are designed for Surfski use they are configured with plastic connectors to prevent salt water corrosion.
In-Stock Shafts (Higher Stiffness # = Softer Shaft):
Stiffness # is deflection in mm with 10kg weight
21K: Stiffness = 6.2. The latest flex shaft designed in collaboration with Oscar Chalupsky for Surf Ski paddlers or anyone looking for the softest, lightweight 100% carbon shaft on the market. Smaller 28mm diameter, 10 cm of adjust-ability.
19K: Stiffness = 4.5. Designed in collaboration with Oscar Chalupsky for the Surfski market, or anyone looking for the soft, lightweight 100% carbon shaft. 10 cm of adjust-ability.
17K: Stiffness = 3.3. Less popular, but often used for paddlers who feel the 19K may be too soft. 5 cm of adjust-ability.
06K: Stiffness = 3.1. Popular for 735, 705 size blades on flat water, some mild ocean paddling. 5 cm of adjust-ability.
04K: Stiffness = 3.0. Popular 760 and 775 size blades for larger paddlers on flat water. 5 cm of adjust-ability.
03K: Stiffness = 2.8 For large blades and heavyweight sprinters. 5 cm of adjustability.
02K: Stiffness = 2.6 For lagest blades and heaviest sprinters. 5 cm of adjustability.
Note: Braca offers stiffer shafts that are typically used for sprint paddlers – all models can be ordered
Typically the bigger the blade and the larger/stronger the paddler, the stiffer the shaft you may want.
1. Paddling in varied water conditions, such as the ocean where you may be constantly accelerating to catch a wave, or in moving water. The 21K and 19K is specifically designed for these ocean conditions when at their worst, but a 17K or 06K can also be used. the 19K and 21K have plastic connectors and all others have metal connectors. Metal connectors should be taken apart and rinsed after every use especially in salt water.
2. Paddlers who are looking to ease stress on joints. The oldest and youngest paddler benefit form having more flexible configurations. As we get older, our joints may not be able to take the rigors of our earlier years, hence many paddlers will move to a softer shaft. This moves more of the stress/shock from your joints to the shaft. Yes, you may lose a very small percentage of power, but hardly noticeable in all but elite paddlers.